Best VPNs for China, management of web access within the country. Most Western websites are blocked by the Great Firewall, which prevents users from accessing them.
In response, the general public is turning to Virtual Private Networks (or VPNs) to bypass the restriction by encrypting their connection and routing it through a remote server. It hides your online activity and allows you to access otherwise inaccessible content.
However, not all VPNs add China. That’s why we tested dozens of different providers and created this top-five list. Below you will see the best VPNs for China that will work in 2023.
Table of Contents
Top 5 Best VPNs for China (2023)
|NordVPN||The Simplest VPN for China in 2023|
|Surfshark||The Most Affordable Good China VPN|
|VyprVPN||Exceptional Security Without Sacrificing Performance|
|Windscribe||Unlimited synchronous connections|
|Hide.me VPN||A Novel Set of Tunneling Protocols|
What to Know Before Using a VPN for China
In addition to choosing a reliable China VPN that gives you uninterrupted access to resources behind the big Firewall, consider the following:
- Get a VPN for China while you’re still abroad. That’s because the government blocks providers’ websites, and you may have to be forced to use a proxy or another VPN to access the mirror, likely compromising your privacy. Fortunately, most of the premium services have separate links to download the app from China. However, you would like to avoid all these extra hassles.
- Know where you will be staying. The country is divided into several provinces, and some net resources are also accessible in one and locked in another. Of course, provinces like Sitsang offer fewer options and even limit your online presence to many hours every day.
- Get a Chinese SIM card; otherwise, you will pay for roaming. Also, chances are that your smartphone can’t add China. make sure your model can work to avoid buying a native whole.
- Don’t forget that almost all sites and services are out of stock except VPN. which has search engines (Google), social networks and electronic communication (Facebook, WhatsApp), news sites (The NY Times), and streaming platforms (Netflix), smut and Wikipedia.
The Top 5 Best VPNs for China – our detailed list
Not many VPNs add China, but that didn’t make this list any easier. The tallest players measure glorious, and thus the distinction between first and second place is something of a photo finish. Let’s examine each VPN service in more detail to learn about the options, advantages, and disadvantages.
|Servers/countries:||5400 servers in 60 countries|
|Unblocks:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, Youtube|
|Current Deal:||Get 63% OFF NordVPN|
+ 3 extra months
- Excellent security and privacy.
- Maximum speeds
- Autocomplete command within UNIX OS
- Anonymous payments
- Netflix and different streaming sites
- Torrenting allowed (SOCKS5 proxy)
- 24/7 live chat
- No serious flaws
If you haven’t used a VPN in China before, we tend strongly recommend NordVPN. This service provides glorious security and privacy and the simplest speeds. NordVPN uses military-grade encryption, the fast and secure NordLynx protocol (an internal version of WireGuard), is leak-free and allows anonymous payments with multiple cryptocurrencies. It’s our best VPN overall in 2023.
Users in China can enjoy stronger protection thanks to multi-hop (Double VPN), Tor over VPN (Onion over VPN), cloaking protocol (obfuscated servers), and two ways of a kill switch. These can close your web connection in case the VPN fails to prevent your data from being unsafe.
Internet speed in China is far from the simplest. Also, Chinese ISPs tend to throttle your data measurement. However, with NordVPN, you will be able to offer the good performance of the products. Its NordLynx tunneling protocol works faster than WireGuard. additionally, they need to update their OpenVPN to version dos.4.10. that has relevance if you are going to victimize their hidden servers.
This provider supports all style devices as well as Robot TV and Amazon Hearth Stick & TV. You will also manually assemble it on other routers or NAS. And since it unblocks multiple streaming platforms, including Netflix, you’ll be able to continue watching your favorite shows and avoid spoilers at home. There is also a SOCKS5 proxy for your torrenting efforts.
NordVPN comes with six slots for matching connections, that should be enough for one person. And if you still need a lot, install it on your router. In case you have any issues in this regard, you will invariably get quality support by contacting the live chat 24/7.
|Servers/countries:||3200 servers in 95 countries|
|Unblocks:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Youtube|
|Current Deal:||82% OFF+ 2 mo. FREE|
- Unlimited matching connections
- Low prices
- Great performance
- Unblock streaming sites
- Allows P2P and has split tunneling
- Live chat 24/7
- No serious flaws
What sets Surfshark apart from the rest of our VPNs for China are unlimited matching VPN connections and deep discounts. This means you’ll simply share an account with your family and friends while paying only a fraction of the already low costs. There is also a 30-day money-back guarantee should you find that this service is not suitable.
Surfshark has good security and privacy. You’ll notice it by looking at the following features: WireGuard, a kill switch, no logs, and no leaks. In addition, it will enable malware blocker (CleanWeb), VPN stealth (camouflage mode), multi-hop, and split tunneling (whitelist).
This VPN for China also offers good performance that is only restricted by your network and hardware. To induce the most effective results, use the WireGuard tunneling protocol and connect to a location that is preparing for China. Surfshark has more than 3,200 servers in more than 65 countries, as well as metropolises, Japan, Singapore, the Republic of Korea, and Taiwan.
Surfshark is compatible with all major Amazon Hearth platforms and devices, including Android TV, routers, and NAS. This suggests that you will be ready to unblock Netflix and see all the content on your giant screen. P2P is also available, and you’ll prefer to only protect this traffic with the split tunneling feature.
This service has no serious flaws and can be a great alternative to NordVPN. If all that wasn’t enough, expect prompt and polite customer support via their 24/7 live chat.
|Servers/countries:||700+ servers in 70 countries|
|Unblocks:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, Youtube|
|Current Deal:||SAVE 50% – 12 Months|
- Excellent security and privacy
- Top speeds
- Command autocomplete in the Linux app.
- Anonymous payments
- Netflix and other streaming sites
- Torrenting allowed (SOCKS5 proxy)
- 24/7 live chat
- No serious flaws
VyprVPN can be a good alternative for China, especially if you want support for less popular platforms, like Apple TV, QNAP, or OpenELEC/Kodi. You will get five matching connections, which will be increased by installing the router app. Unfortunately, there are no VyprVPN browser extensions at this time.
The security and privacy of this provider are almost unmatched. it’s an independently audited zero-logs policy, proprietary Chameleon protocol to prevent deep packet review, and robust leak protection. It currently uses smart IP technology that rotates your IP address without removing the association. Plus, you’ll enjoy malware blocking and split tunneling if you’re a mackintosh or victimization bot. Unfortunately, VyprVPN does not have multihop, Tor over VPN, or SOCKS5 proxy.
VyprVPN can be a fast service, due to the state-of-the-art WireGuard protocol. while it doesn’t have thousands of servers, they all belong to the company, which increases standard and performance. Also, there are servers in many places in China to choose from. which has metropolises, in Japan, Macao, and Taiwan, among others.
When it comes to content platforms, VyprVPN unblocks multiple Netflix libraries and different streaming services. the quality of your video stream may depend on the internet connection and therefore the distance to the server, but watching in UHD are some of the things we can easily do with VyprVPN. Torrenting is possible, although some users may miss a SOCKS5 proxy or split tunnel.
VyprVPN costs well, especially if you’re taking the biennial plan. There is a 30-day money-back guarantee that allows you to try the service risk-free. Unfortunately, anonymous payments are untouchable.
|Servers/countries:||480 servers in 63 countries|
|Unblocks:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, Youtube|
|Current deal:||Get 55% OFF with a 1-year plan!|
- Unlimited devices
- No logs policy
- Servers in more than 60 countries
- Support P2P & streaming.
- Fast speeds
- Live chat is not 24/7
- The short amount of cash back
Windscribe is one of the 2 VPNs for China that offer unlimited devices per account. Which is a lot, are apps for Nvidia Defender and Kodi, something that is usually not supported or has to be designed manually. So if these square measurements are necessary for you, we can recommend Windscribe for these and other benefits.
Starting with security and privacy, you get military-grade encryption, leak protection, and a malware blocker. Even assuming Windscribe is registered in Canada, a 5 Eyes country, this shouldn’t worry you too much due to the zero registration policy. Other options include multi-hop (double VPN), SOCKS5 proxy, and VPN stealing.
Thanks to the WireGuard tunneling protocol, this provider offers you excellent speeds. Windscribe has servers in over 60 countries. You’ll be ready to choose from a nice pair from China for even more performance. We are talking about Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, the Republic of Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand.
Windscribe unblocks Netflix in multiple locations. However, the constant regarding different streaming platforms cannot be mentioned. at least you’ll be able to download torrents to your heart’s content, and optionally use the SOCKS5 proxy for that.
The main reason Windscribe doesn’t rank higher on this list is the lack of 24/7 live chat. Getting support fast is crucial in China, where you’ll encounter more problems than just about anywhere else. For starters, the money-back guarantee is only for three days, so make sure you fully check out this VPN before you head over to the other side of the big Firewall.
5. Hide.me VPN
|Servers/countries:||2000 servers in 46 countries|
|Unblocks:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, Youtube|
|Current deal:||Buy at 61% OFF (+2 mos. free!)|
- Zero activity logs
- Anonymous payments
- Support torrent
- Unblock multiple streaming platforms
- 24/7 live chat support
- Power switch problems
- Really expensive
Hide.me VPN is well suited for use in China. they are zero activity logs, a unique set of tunneling protocols, and good customer support. Also, Hide.me VPN unblocks multiple streaming platforms.
While this provider doesn’t make many “best of” lists, that’s not the case when we start talking about bypassing the Great Firewall of China. The Hide.me VPN software package offers security and privacy that can allow you to feel comfortable in countries where the web is extremely expurgated.
To begin with, this service is registered in an Asian nation, a country that respects privacy. You will be able to pay jointly anonymously with Bitcoin, further reducing the possibility of linking your data measurement to you. What’s more, Hide.me VPN has strong leak protection, keeping your personal information safe.
When it comes to tunneling protocols, you can opt for WireGuard for the best speeds or SoftEther (SSL over HTTPS) to avoid deep packet scrutiny (which often blocks VPN traffic). Windows users can also try SSTP, which is also good against firewalls. Recently, they jointly need another Bolt VPN protocol based on the communications protocol and can provide higher speeds for users in restricted regions. Millions of useful options exist, like multihop, split tunneling, and a SOCKS5 proxy.
Hide.me VPN is one of the few providers that offers AN app for Chromebook. It also works with all major operating systems, Amazon fireplace devices, and routers. One account gives you 10 (!) synchronous connections, enough for your whole family.
You wouldn’t notice this service listed if it couldn’t unblock Netflix. In fact, Hide.me VPN offers you YouTube, BBC iPlayer, and even DAZN, among others. P2P is also allowed and your traffic will not be limited.
Last but not last, Hide.me VPN comes with 24/7 live chat. It’s just weaknesses and some kill-switch issues and a pretty hefty
How we Tested & Selected these VPNs
We want to take some time to clarify how we have chosen the best VPNs to use in China. In the beginning, we have a tendency to cross out all suppliers that don’t add China or can’t give stable service. Next, we tend to rate each VPN abuse on the following criteria:
- Security. Mistreating ONE unreliable VPN in China will cause you a lot of inconveniences, especially since you will think that you are protected once. In fact, you are not. Options like secure tunneling protocols, a powerful kill switch, and leak protection are a must.
- Privacy. Only use a real VPN with no logs. Which is a lot. Those with anonymous checkout or anonymous signup options have a huge advantage over the rest. Finally, avoid any VPN that operates outside of China.
- Speed. All VPN services can make it difficult to join to some extent. This is why choosing between the fastest VPNs is recommended to be sure that you still have some juice left for streaming or torrenting when it beats the good Firewall.
- Transmission. Many people in China want to watch US Netflix. so if a VPN can’t help with geo-blocking, look at competitors that will. Also, keep in mind that some providers even unblock many Netflix libraries around the world, which means there’s a higher chance of finding the TV show or picture show you need.
- Torrent. P2P blocking can be a nuisance all over the world, and China is one of the worst places to download torrents. Fortunately, you’ll be ready for fast, free, and robust transfers with a reliable VPN.
- Customer Support. China is tough on VPNs, so you can expect some issues that you’ve never had before. Therefore, 24/7 customer support becomes indispensable. Accept nothing more than a live chat option to avoid waiting days before your issue is resolved.
- Price. Once you select a VPN for China, saving money shouldn’t result in a less secure or non-public option. The same, some top-tier providers are within your means.
How to Choose the Best VPN for China?
Choosing the best VPN app for China is not an easy problem, especially if you are doing it for the first time. That is why we tend to create a list of the most important options that your VPN should have to make the selection easier.
- Stability. Very few suppliers claim to work in China, but how many do most of the time? Having a casual relationship that is already slow will make the experience unbearable.
- Reputation. Most VPNs advertise their glorious security and privacy, but do they need anything to back that up? Looking at past scandals can provide you with a blueprint as to whether or not this service is worth transferring to China.
- Security & privacy. A VPN with an audited or court-verified zero-logs policy is the most popular. Second, a kill switch and a leak-free area unit are a requirement. Finally, look into some additional options like anonymous payments, Tor over VPN, or multi-hop to enhance your protection. The most important thing is to look for a “stealth protocol,” “stealth mode” or “obfuscated servers” – these are usually crucial for a VPN in China.
- Speed. A fast tunneling protocol such as WireGuard is strongly recommended to enhance speed. In addition, keep an eye out for a lot of covered servers and locations.
- Streaming & Torrenting. This unit of area is probably the most common reason why people get a VPN. It’s not different in China, as there is no native Netflix or YouTube in the slightest. Confirm that your VPN covers your required streaming platforms and has enough juice to download at the specified rate.
- Customer Support. You should notice at least a few VPNs that have 24/7 live chat.
- Price. This one is hard. Area unit Do you get a VPN only for a few months? Or an area unit that is about to stay in China for over a year? In the latter case, the cost area unit is quite similar, but long-term plans offer a wide range of discounts.
How to Use a VPN in China?
The greatest advice you can get about using a VPN in China is to plan ahead of time. If you have not yet arrived in China, it is a good idea to transfer and run the VPN software package before you arrive. You’ll have the tools you need to get around the limitations this way.
- You will want a reliable VPN provider. We tend to recommend NordVPN because it includes a good list to bypass the big firewall.
- Sign up for the service and purchase your subscription. Confirm that its length is not shorter than your keep.
- Sign in to your account and transfer the software package (it’s smart to install it on all your used devices)
- Each operating system has different setup instructions, so check with your provider for details.
- Once setup is complete, all you have to do is open the app, sign in, and connect.
- For a VPN to work, it would have to connect victimization obfuscated servers.
Don’t forget that tunneling protocols like OpenVPN, PPTP, and L2TP area units are blocked in China. Therefore, the best thing to do is to use different ways to unblock restricted websites.
Is Using a Vpn Illegal in China?
VPNs in the China area unit are legal but severely restricted. In 2018, the Chinese government decided to ban all VPNs that are not approved by the government. Before long, VPNs disappeared from the native app stores, and ISPs began to dominate them very strongly.
However, this measurement area unit is primarily aimed at locals, so travelers will still transfer and use some VPN apps. those VPNs that are operating in China continued to do so even after 2018. In a way, this could mean that the Chinese government has given more room for those providers to work within the country. On the other hand, you still need to find the right tool and thus downloading the app is not easy.
If you are in a neighborhood, using a VPN will be much riskier, especially if you live in provinces like Xinjiang, where the population is more strictly controlled by the Chinese regime. If they are caught, voters will face dire consequences.
What Is the Great Firewall of China?
Officially known as the Golden Shield project, China’s Great Firewall censors network access within the country. Since all network service providers (ISPs) are government-owned, they will monitor all your traffic and block certain websites that are deemed dangerous or inappropriate. Unfortunately, the block list is a bit long, along with Facebook, Twitter, most search engines, and electronic messaging services, not to mention Netflix and YouTube.
China began seriously censoring the web in 1997, just three years after it started surfing. In 2003, the Golden Shield project was started to censor and jointly promote the party’s ideology. for example, you will learn that Hong Kong and Taiwan are part of China, and you will not learn anything about the Tiananmen Square massacre.
How will China censor the Internet? Well, it uses a variety of refined ways, such as information processing blocking, DNS snooping, keyword filtering through deep packet inspection (DPI), and manual blocking. DPI is also used to see and block VPN traffic. That is why the most effective VPNs must be prepared to prevent DPI from appearing in China.
Without a VPN, you’ll be forced to use native apps and websites for communication, online search, and the rest. Your search keywords will be changed and you will see government-approved companies at the top of the results page. Most importantly, your online privacy will be non-existent thanks to China’s online police investigation teams.
How VPNs Bypass the Great Firewall
Bypassing the good Firewall is doable by victimizing the associated grade encrypted reference to surface servers. Although there are several ways to travel about it, VPNs are the most common and easiest way for many users.
A VPN encrypts your connection, making it impossible to view and filter the pages you are trying to access. In addition, your association is trained on the network of surface servers that have unlimited access to the network. That way, you’re experiencing the network as if you’re located somewhere else, yet physically you’re still located in China.
It is worth mentioning that China has cracked down on most free VPN services and proxies. the good Firewall detects the data processing ranges of some free VPNs and blocks them dead in their tracks, rendering them useless. So if you want some assurance that a VPN can work for you, it’s not a bad plan to trust the paid VPN service provider.
How to Bypass the Great Firewall of China Without a VPN?
While VPNs are the most effective technique for bypassing China’s good Firewall, they can also be full proxies. Any services you use must be run from outside the partner country, ideally supporting an HTTPS-encrypted tunnel.
There are several paid proxies to be established, but your name is sometimes not enough to know that your private information is safe. Also, a VPN can often be faster and offer an additional stable association. Proxies can generally have additional issues with streaming and torrenting.
Another technique to bypass China’s good Firewall is Tor. It uses a network of thousands of repeaters around the world, effectively hiding your information processing address and traffic. sadly these are their vulnerabilities and will ideally be used with a VPN once possible. Finally, Tor won’t help you with streaming, torrenting, or forwarding because it’s designed for browsing.
Proxies and Tor don’t seem to be the only alternatives to VPN. However, other options, such as I2P or encrypted DNS, are either extremely technical or too narrow to include in this article.
Why Does China Block Most VPNs?
China is an authoritarian regime that likes to spy on its voters and guests alike. Limiting the online content available in the marketplace helps spread government information and keep foreign sources out of stock. Since VPNs make it easy to unblock websites and services by bypassing the good Firewall, China considers them dangerous and harmful to its policy.
A VPN could be a powerful tool that gives you access to a variety of blocked services. We are talking about social networks and electronic messaging, search engines, news sites, streaming, torrents, and more. While no one, voters reckon they were built to use native online services while also giving away their scientific addresses and online activity logs for free to ISPs, which, by the way, are collectivist.
Oddly enough, the VPNs that worked before the 2018 change still work today. That’s probably because, without a VPN, China would be financially hurt. After all, there are foreign businesses that require access to numerous online resources to operate. thus, in a very broad sense, China is leaving those few VPNs in relative peace on their own.
Which Free VPN Works in China?
The question in the title is intentionally single. There aren’t many decent premium VPNs that function in China, and there are even fewer free choices. Windscribe is your best bet right now.
As of 2023, Windscribe is the top free VPN in China. It’s a reputable company with no scandals or leaks. This is why it frequently appears on our list of the best free VPNs.
This service provides you with ten GB/month for browsing, streaming, and torrenting. While this limit may seem strict, keep in mind that most free VPNs have a data metering limit, and those that don’t won’t work with Netflix, P2P, or both. With Windscribe, you can view a three-hour-long image or browse for more than 5 hours a day.
Unlike the other free VPNs that offer you only a few locations, Windscribe offers ten countries. which has a city, so the speeds are higher than once connecting somewhere on the other side of the world. Of course, for streaming, you can probably still select the North American country, the UK, or the European country.
Windscribe features strong secret writing, a kill switch, and malware protection when it comes to security and privacy. If you want to travel premium, it’s also a no-logs service with a tracking blocker and anonymous payments. Finally, STunnel and Wstunnel are two “stealth protocols” in Windscribe.
Windscribe, like other free providers, does not have a live chat option. Sending a price tag, berating a chatbot, or viewing the material are your only options for measuring the square. Despite this, no best free VPN that works in China exists.
VPNs That Don’t Work in China
Many VPNs do not include China. It might be easier to list the ones that work. However, below you will see services that cannot bypass the Great Firewall of China at the time of writing, although this could change.
- Avast Secureline VPN
- Perfect Privacy
- VPN Unlimited
As you will see, even some esteemed VPNs concluded on top of this list. This in no way implies that they are dangerous outside of China. Some of them are among the simplest VPNs overall.
Popular Websites That Are Blocked in China
If a website is worth a damn, the probability that it will be blocked in China is high. This includes:
- Social networks. It is not about oral communication that social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, LinkedIn, Tinder, and Snapchat are completely illegal.
- Streaming sites. China also bans popular streaming sites and services like Netflix, Youtube, Vimeo, Twitch, Dailymotion, Spotify, Hulu, HBO, and Vevo.
- News and informative pages. As China’s web censorship area unit with enthusiasm, you will not be able to access any Western news page or informative site. This includes the BBC, The Big Apple Times, The Wall Street Journal, Reuters, Bloomberg, The Guardian, and Wikipedia.
- The search engines. Even search engines are not resistant to China’s blocks. Even though it’s not a VPN, it won’t access Google, Yahoo, or DuckDuckGo.
- Websites bypass Internet censorship. It is not verbally communicated that websites like NordVPN, Surfshark, or ExpressVPN are on the block list, as they would allow you to bypass the blocks.
- Websites for file sharing. All of these services, from Imgur to Dailymotion to torrent websites, have been restricted to make it more difficult to exchange data.
China also blocks numerous electronic messaging applications such as Message, Messenger, Slack, or WhatsApp and cloud sharing and storage websites such as Dropbox and Microsoft OneDrive.
Which Vpn Works in China Now?
All the VPNs listed at the top work in China as of today. although there are a few others as well, we tend to recommend choosing between these five to have a stable membership.
Which VPN Server Locations Should I Choose in China?
Generally speaking, you should go for the closest server location for a lower ping and faster affiliation. Most of our best VPNs for China offer at least several of the following locations: Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Asia, or Singapore. Of course, if you want to unblock Netflix USA or watch the UK version of YouTube, you’ll need to connect with those countries.
Why Are VPNs in China Slow?
Due to encryption and various security measures, all VPNs slow down, and China’s online performance standard is uneven. You’ll also need to show many hops, Tor over VPN, and other extreme security options to boost the performance.
Does Great Firewall Work in Other Countries?
No, it only works in China. which means you should be able to access the network freely in Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Macau.
What Is the Punishment for Using a VPN in China?
If you are a foreigner, you should not worry too much. As of now, no traveler has been convicted of using a VPN in China. However, the case is different for voters. Social control will vary from a fine to jail.
To read more similar articles, click here.
Thanks for visiting our Website. If you appreciate our work, kindly show us some support in our comments section 🙂